Highway Cruisers ---was ---18 MPG in an Imperial?

Highway Cruisers ---was ---18 MPG in an Imperial?

In a message dated 01/21/02 1:25:22 PM Central Standard Time, hugtrees@xxxxxxxx writes:

It had been my contention, disputed by an owner of a '56 in '56, that these
cars were primarily designed as highway cruisers.  His contention is the
opposite and he cites the fact that the interstate system hardly existed in
even the late fifties.

 True, but Americans got around very well at high speeds BEFORE the "blessing" of the interstates. Many great highways such as RT66 existed for years, and some Mfg.'s filled the need for speed, luxury and economy. I have, and have had, the pleasure of owning several cars from different eras that met this definition. My former '67 CC (which I MISS and went to a IML member ) was one which met this "Highway Cruiser"  design, it routinely got 17+MPG@xx MPH. As did both my '67 and '68 Lincoln's (Chicago to Denver in the '68 18.9MPG@xxxxxxxxxxx total average on LEADED fuel). My '49 and '53 Buick's did also, both had straight 8's but the '53 having a manual trans and lower rear axle ratio did just over 21 MPG highway, alas my current '38 Buick Special (same driveline as the '53 BUT factory 4.44/1 diff.gears) eats at a rate of 9MPG@xxx

 Highway Cruisers were definitely of pre-interstate design. Don't let the Interstate lovers lead you down the road of how terrible cars and the country's roads were pre-(city bypassing/ghost town making/scenic view limiting/fast food blandness) interstate, but that's another and NON-IMPERIAL topic!

More of my .02 in 02
Ron

PS
(My new restoration/service/??? shop will be OPENING SOON in NEWARK IL.) Working on web page Too!
Anyone in the area, or interested, I'm working towards cruise nights in Newark and area cruises if interested PLEASE contact me via private email, Thanks.

Looking for a '57 and  Prewar Imperials -in Driver condition
Always interested in; Durant cars or parts - odd/English cars - orphan cars and parts

My collection,
1926 Durant 2dr sedan
1938 Buick Special 4dr
1950 Bentley MK VI