Radio Installation in a 73

> I understand with the AM/FM Imperial radios there is a
> three prong connector going out to the splitter under
> dash.  What wires are what?  The power wire and
> antenna wire should not be difficult but I am unsure
> about the speaker wires.  Is it difficult to adapt a
> modern radio into an Imperial?  I do understand that
> the sound output will be lower due to the original
> speakers being 8 ohm units while the newer radios work
> best with 4 ohm speakers.  Does anyone have any
> advice?
>
> Chad
> 1973 Imp
> 1966 Galaxie

I have scanned the appropriate page from the service manual with the wiring
diagrams for the radio/speaker system and will send it to you directly if
you want.  I would have gone ahead and sent it but the file is kind of big
and I didn't want to bog down your e-mail if you didn't want it.  Please
e-mail me off the list if you would like to have the image.

I think you are going to need to rewire to get any decent modern radio to
work correctly.  Most new radio's require a separate + and - run to each
speaker.  The '73 Imperial has a positive to each speaker and then a common
ground for all.  Wiring this way into a new amp will unfortunately let all
the smoke out of the amp.

While on the subject of speakers you would probably be well served to go
ahead and replace them.  After all these years the paper material decomposes
from sun and heat and all the other stuff they are subjected to.  You may
well find that your existing radio will sound quite nice just by replacing
the speakers.

                                            Steve B.