What is a coupe

Peter Engel/vze2dp8c@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The writer is really off-base because there's no such thing as a
> fuselage Imperial coupe, technically.  Sure, a lot of people call any
> two door model a coupe, but that's not right.
>
> The body style section in an older edition of "Standard Catalog of
> American Cars" indicates that a coupe has no rear seat area side windows
> at all (like a business coupe) or has rear side windows but they don't
> roll down.  I think that Chevy Novas and Ford Mavericks were that way.
> Also the Duster and Demon, but the rear side windows flip outward on
> those cars.

I imagine this will disappoint all the Crown Coupe owners out there. Guess
they never shoulda let go of "Southampton."

Actually, the definitions of bodystyles have evolved over the years. Today,
a coupe can be anything with two doors, even though technically most 2-doors
today (with the exception of certain Mercedes models that are the only
pillarless hardtops still in production) are really just two-door sedans...
or hatchbacks. And when was the last time a carmaker offered a business
coupe, also known as a doctor's coupe?

Of course, look at all the terms carmakers are inventing to try and hide the
fact that their new "crossover vehicles" are really just station wagons.

I would still tend to label the fuselage offerings as two- and four-door
hardtops (plus the four-door sedan in 1969).

Chris in LA, lover of wagons and hardtops!