What is a coupe

I think you're both right.  I think the term "two door hardtop" is probably the
technically correct term.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that is the way the 2 dr.
69s are referred to in the brochures (although I could swear I saw the term
"Crown coupe" somewhere, too).  But, as with many of the words we use today,
usage has changed the original meaning, or at least blurred the distinctions.
I believe the word coupe actually came from the horse & carriage days, but I
think most people today think of anything with 2 seats, 2 doors, and limited
room in back as a "coupe."

Now if someone could only explain to me what a "saloon" (the car kind) and a
"phaeton" is.

MM