Fuel Pump Not Pumping...

Hello Nathan,

I'm wondering why you are replacing the fuel pump. Your problem may not have
been the fuel pump.

The first thing that you need to do is find out if the pump is getting fuel
supplied to it. I have a few feet of clear vinyl 5/16 and 3/8 hose that I
use in cases like this. It is avail in Home Depot.

Put a piece in-line,between the line that attaches to the pump...and the
pump. The clear line lets you SEE what is going on...and if there are an
excessive amount of air-bubbles traveling with the fuel. If the pump is
getting supplied with fuel,then....

Attach a few feet of the clear line to the output nipple of the pump...and
the other end of the line into a clear 2-liter plastic Coke bottle. Dump a
little fuel into the carb and fire her up. Note the condition and volume of
fuel being supplied from the pump into the bottle. The bottle should be
placed under or beside the car and not tediously placed under the hood. If
spurts of fuel are being supplied to the bottle,your prob lies with
something after the pump. (Filter,float,collapsed/plugged line)

Is this "New" pump brand-new and never used? If the pump was used at all
then uninstalled and then let sit long enough for the gas to
varnish-up,there is a chance that the check-ball is stuck because of the
residual fuel turning to varnish inside the pump.  <--this happened to me
with a pump that I had sitting in my parts-shed. I couldn't figure WHY THE
HECK it wouldn't pump once I installed it. I finally took it back off
because it would not pump even tho it was getting fuel supplied to it. I
held it in my hand...said a few foul words to it,then a *POP!* came from
inside the pump. I reinstalled it...and it has been working fine ever since.
Weird things like that only happen to me,I guess.

...and like Phil said,there is no adjustment. There are 2 kinds of pumps
that I know of. The High-Perf pump has 3/8 lines. The pump lever's are the
same. There is no "roller".

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr <--with a Hi-Perf,Super Commando,TNT,Dual,Blue
Lion,Magnum,Police Interceptor 440.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV <--mega-Torque,Tractor-Pulling,"Wham-Bam thank you
Ma'am" 440.   Hehehe.