Exhaust Manifold Gasket

hi elijah...have the '74 manual and it says it has a gasket...will try the bolts to see if they are loose...plenty of exhaust is moving out the tail pipe(burns your hand) so no restrictions evident..no leaks are felt...car burns real clean and runs lean like a  '77-78 Lean Burn engine that actually worked....

Elijah Scott wrote:
--- Mark E Blitman <Fedsales@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
my '74 imp. needs one replaced. other than a little
extra noise what is
the down side to not fixing? i am getting horror

Mark,

I have never worked on a '74 Imperial, so my advice
may be in error, but the '71 Imperial does *not* have
an exhaust manifold gasket.

Seriously. :o)

Do you have a '74 service manual? If so, check the
exhaust section to see if your car actually has a
gasket. If not, let me know, and I'll look in the '74
manual I have.

You might simply check to make sure that the manifold
is tightly bolted to the block -- it could simply be a
little loose.

Also check the tightness of the connection between the
manifold and the exhaust pipe. There *is* a gasket at
that connection, but it could simply be loose as well.

Best luck!

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
(3) 1971 Imperial LeBarons