Spark Plug Experience--Dick Benjamin?

Back in the olden days, spark plugs were indeed just two wires arranged in
close proximity so that a spark of a few thousand volts would jump between
them.  The wires were supported in ceramic insulation so that the
conductance of the supporting material would not drain off the electrons
(voltage) faster than the ignition system could supply them, thus allowing
the voltage to build up to the flash over level quickly.

Now, in the modern era, spark plugs are still just about that, but many have
resistance built into the "wire" so that your neighbor won't complain that
his "Must See TV" program is full of snow when you run your mower.   This
resistance can fail, and make a sort of series gap inside the plug that can
require very high voltage to make it fire.     That would be one kind of
internal failure.

Secondly, the ceramic insulation can become impregnated with carbon
particles that make it more conductive, thus draining the precious little
critters (electrons) off to ground before enough can be herded toward the
tip.

Third, the shape of the electrodes can become rounded off.  [It's beside the
point, but this process of spark machining away metal is called "eloxing" as
I recall, (I'm not sure of the spelling), but we used it for precisely
machining parts for some of the early space hardware.]
Round electrodes make a larger gathering place for the little critters, and
they will sit there if they have room, rather than taking the fatal leap to
the other electrode.  The result is a higher firing voltage, putting the
strain on all components of the ignition system.  The most notable thing to
suffer here is the arm and shoulder of the poor boob who is trying to pull
the rope fast enough to get a good enough spike of voltage out of the
magneto.

Forth, the gap gets wider by the same process as above, and the gap is
critical for starting if the voltage is marginal, as it will be on any rope
pull started device.

The bottom line is:  if you could perfectly reshape both electrodes in a
spark plug, set the gap back to specification, and clean all the carbon out
of the insulator, and if there is no failure of the resistor inside the
plug, there would be no reason to replace the plugs.   I have a "Vixen" sand
blaster for cleaning plugs, and it seems to rejuvenate the insulator pretty
well, and so for some of my old cars for which plugs are very hard to find
(the old 10 MM plugs for instance), I do exactly the above, and have gotten
away with it for years.   But this is a lot of work, and if you can buy new
plugs for a few dollars, I think that makes more sense.

Dick Benjamin (who moved to the desert in 1979 so that I would never have to
start a lawn mower again!)