1990 Imperial Rear Suspension

Well, I stand corrected and I must apologize to anyone I told different.
While servicing the rear brakes on my 1990 Imperial today, I had a good look
at the rear suspension system.  I'm not exactly sure what was there
originally but the PO had installed air shocks in the rear as a replacement
to whatever was there from the factory.  These shocks are fitted with a
manual fill valve near the rear of the car.  The shocks are worn out so I
have to replace them regardless.  This car has a regular coil spring also.
I was under the impression that it had an air spring such as what is
detailed in the Haynes manual.  I guess the manual doesn't cover every type
of system.  I now have two options...

1. Replace the rear shocks with the Dynasty style shocks and live without
air ride.  I am thinking that it wouldn't take much to overload the rear of
that car with a couple big passengers and some trunk cargo.  I sure would
like to have air springs at least.

2. Replace the rear shocks with the aftermarket air leveling type of shock.
Those were listed for over $100.00 each.  This is a viable alternative and I
could use either a manual fill system or a mechanical leveling valve to
automate the leveling.

The Dynasty shocks are cheap enough that considering the amount of money I
have to spend on the car to just get it drivable, I will probably go that
way to start with.  If there is no problem with the car bottoming out at
all, nuff said.  If there is, I can devise air ride after the fact.

Thanks to all those who have lent their opinions and experience.  I'll keep
you up to date on my findings and what I learn.

Brad Hogg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://www.nybclub.org/bradhogg/index.htm
1990 Chrysler Imperial 4-door Sedan (the KImperial)
1978 Chrysler Newport 4-door Hard Top (the Newporker)
1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4-door Hard Top (the Black Beast)
1968 Chrysler Newport Custom 4-door Sedan (Grand-Dad's car)