1960 Vacuum Advance

DB, arguments are good.  This is the best way to learn.  I agree with your
description of how the vacuum "signal" is created.

Sorry, I did not express my self properly (you may still disagree, but at
least you will disagree to the right thing!).  Engine knock is the result
of very high pressures and temperatures in the "unburnt" zone inside the
combustion chamber.  The flame front propagates after the spark in the
combustion chamber in a finite velocity (depended upon the turbulence in
the combustion chamber, NOT upon the fuel grade).  The temperature in the
unburnt zone climbs, and if the fuel does not have sufficient octane, the
unburnt zone will explode spontaneously (rather than consumed smoothly by
the flame front) creating pressure waves which then increase the heat
transfer within the combustion chamber walls, and eventually drill holes
through pistons.  This mechanism is more prone to occur at high loads when
the peak cylinder pressure and temperature are very high.  At part loads,
the peak pressures are quite low, so you can tolerate a lot more spark
advance before knock occurs.  But I agree with you, it can happen at part
load too.  In my 440's I experience knock only at WOT when I over advance
the timing.  I had some part load pinging when I first got my LeBaron, but
the deposits causing it are long gone, converted into green house
gasses.   Other experience with part load pinging is on a Fiat engine I
used to operate in Greece.  When climbing steep hills, it would ping
sometimes, but that was also a high load condition.  I do not recall if
that engine would also ping at WOT with the settings causing it to ping at
part but still heavy load.  I guess its possible to have an overly
aggressive vacuum advance to the extend the engine would ping.  From my
limited experience, I think its not very likely if the engine is free of
deposits...
D^2, 2x68s
PS, Dick, may be you should drive at WOT more often to clear up deposits! ;)