De-natured alcholo into gas??

Quoting Nicholas Essinger <crowncoupe@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello--
> Just read a note on the site on the topic of water in the gas tank.  One
>
> comment was to put some 'dry gas' into the tank (have heard that
> before), or
> even to spray some gas into the carb if a starting problem.  But, I'm
> sorry,
> I've not heard of putting de-natured alcohol -- of any amount --
> straight
> into the gas tank!  PLEASE, give some history/facts behind this idea.

     Back on the farm in the late 50's, 60's etc my old man would put a pint
bottle of denatured alcohol into every truck, car, and gas tractor tank at the
beginning of winter.  The idea is that the alcohol will absorb any water built
up in the tanks, and the lines as it passes through, and then it can be burned
away in the engine, thus preventing the icing up of gas lines.  I have no
scientific information for you though.