Inaccessible Imperial

I have a problem that has been progressive for the last couple of months
and has now come to a head.  My 64 Crown's front exterior door handles were
not catching or actuating whatever internal connection releases the catch
to open the door.  I realized that I had an ominous new problem on my hands
when I was having to pull up on the handle three or four times before it
would catch and has gotten progressively worse.  I have been unable to open
either front door from the outside for quite a while now, which is just as
well because the car has been out of commission for weeks now due to a
faulty new power steering hose I had made at NAPA to replace a faulty new
hose I got from AutoShack.  Long story short I rounded off the nut trying
to get it back off of the power steering unit and have not had a chance to
figure it out yet, but I digress.  Now I have to leave the back doors
unlocked to get into the car.  It's not really cool to be out in your
Imperial and have to open the rear door, reach over the front seat to pull
the interior handle to open the door.  It opens fine from the inside but
doesn't sound just right.  Kind of a slight rubbing sound more than normal.
Do I have something that has come loose or do I need to just lubricate
something?  I really don't want to have to pull the interior door panel off
if I don't have to for fear of breaking something or of not getting it back
on just right by myself.  Has anyone else ever had this happen?  I don't
want to exacerbate an existing problem by letting it go but I also don't
want to break something in an attempt to fix it.  I need a little help