426 Hemi in an Imperial

In addition to all the comments, the 426 Hemi Imperial would need a lower gear
ratio.  A 3.23 would probably be sufficient.  These engines did not have a
whole lot of torque at the low end, so they would need the help of the lower
ratio for good driveablitiy.  These engines also had a phenomenal high rpm
performance (they could rev all the way to 6500 maintaining a high level of
torque) so a super high speed Imperial would certainly be the result.  For the
record, 6000 rpm w/ a 3.23 and the 235/75 tires would correspond to a hair over
160 mph.  I would bet that the Hemi would have enough torge at this rpm to
acheive these speeds in an Imperial.

Now, a "Magnum" Engined Imperial is certainly more practical, even if somewhat
slower.  All you need for that is a cam replacement since the rest of the stock
440 engine is virtually identical to the HP (well, at least the 68-71 440s, the
67'sand 66's had different heads, as far as I know).  The larger camshaft
(intake duration increased from 256 to 268 degrees and overlap from 30 to 45
degrees as I recall) is the main element that allows higher rpm performance
that the HP 440 has.  Sure, some HP 440s had bigger exhaust manifolds, but this
is not going to make a significant change.  The bigger cam will result to the
loss of some low end torque, but that's fine w/ me.

D^2, 2x68s with cam "upgrades".