vacuum hoses

hello and a happy new year to all..wanted to share an experience with
you that is so easy to do, easy to ignore and pays dividends...just
replacing all the vacuum hoses in my '74 imp( most were original) has
improved gas mileage, car runs smoother, idles better...yet the old
hoses did not appear defective...

guess replacing them every few years is a good idea.....i do have a
question for the group...when starting my car cold, if i pump it 3-4
times it starts and idles fast and then i tap the pedal lightly and it
kicks down..just like it should....on the sun visor this procedure is
used for extremely cold conditions ( not really what we have here in
Tampa)...now if i just pump it once it will start on the 3rd or 4th time
( also pumping it once each time) but it will not go on fast
idle...anyone know what it is doing? just curious...thanks!!