Plug fouling (was: Welcome Kevin Wible)

Kevin,

Welcome to the IML! I'm sure you'll find lots of support here.

I wouldn't jump to major engine repair right away to cure fouling plugs,
although it's within the realm of reason for a 200,000-mile engine.

First, not driving a car frequently tends to decrease plug life, or increase
fouling. Be sure you give it a good run, at least half an hour at highway
speeds, whenever you exercise it, which I recommend about every six weeks
minimum (providing the weather outside Denver allows it).

Second, what kind of plugs are you using? If you've got Champions, get rid
of 'em! Put in a set of Autolite (#89, I believe, on your 413) plugs and
you're bound to see a substantial improvement (and less pinging, if you have
that problem too).

Third, it might not be carbon fouling but an overly rich mixture. It
wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the carb and set the timing, etc., to spec
before you rebuild the engine.

Hope this provides some help!

Chris in LA
67 Crown (125k miles, heads never off, no fouling)
78 NYB Salon (17k miles, and runs like it!)