New Member Nick Arnone

Nick, wait!

Please don't cut up the Coupe!

First of all, a convertible is not a coupe with its top chopped off. Its
floorpan and numerous other critical body parts are reinforced to compensate
for the lack of a structural roof. You will end up with two parts cars, your
rusty convertible and the Crown Coupe you cut in half horizontally.

Second, it will cost you far less to buy a convertible in restorable to good
condition (heck, even an excellent one) than it will to make this car even half
right (and believe me, it will never be more than half right because it will be
a coupe with its upper body cut off). Your comment that "It will be much more
complex then it sounds" is the understatement of the week! (For one, the '68 is
a Unibody.)

Third, a '68 Crown Coupe is a desirable and rare car in its own right, and
worth far, far more than a former coupe made into a car that looks like a
convertible. The VIN will always betray the car as a former coupe, which would
send any savvy buyer running far away. And you'll end up with an unsafe,
unsound car worth far less than you'd put into it.

I heartily recommend that, if you must have a convertible (an honorable desire
in itself), you sell the Crown Coupe intact and find yourself a convertible.
Your existing convertible can still be your parts car if it's truly beyond
hope, even as a resto project for someone else.

I don't mean to sound harsh (just in case I do... sorry), but the facts are
what they are. Imperials are still the bargain of all luxury classics, and the
'68s stand out among them because they are extremely driveable, fabulously
built, famously durable, and include the last Imperial convertibles (the ones
that were born that way).

You'll be much, much happier (and many of us will be very, very relieved) if
you decide to find a real one and spare the Crown Coupe from beheading.

Since you asked, there ya go! Good luck in your new search (it's half the
fun)... And welcome to the IML!

Chris in LA
67 Crown 4-dor hardtop
78 NYB Salon