66 engine cutting out at highway speeds

A glazed or loose fan-belt could also be the problem: As the car's
speed increases it's need for electricity also increases putting a
greater load on the alternator/generator. If the fanbelt is glazed and
shiny or loose the extra load will create enough drag on the pully that
it will begin to slip rather than turn and the amount of electricity
generated will decrease, calling on battery reserves, and starving the
ignition system, all systems, actually, of the power needed to run
properly. The result will be a bogging down of the engine, dim
headlights, accompanied by low battery or dead battery. The problem
gets worse at night as the headlights create an even greater drain on
the alternator/generator.