66 engine cutting out at highway speeds

John:

You are correct about the filter -- Actually, I was the cause of a major
recall on these filters. My 66 Barracuda just would not run correctly through
the gears. Probably cost Chrysler thousands to finally fix my car  after 11
months of trying everything to find the problem. The problem and cure was
found on my honeymoon in 66. I removed the filter -- drove the car more than
300,000 miles without it and still have the car... When I pulled the filter
out of the tank on Sept 3, 1966, it was still collapsed.

Regards,

Sherwood