67 Braking problems again

The hissing means that either you have had a snake curl up under your dash,
and he is upset by the fact that your socks don't match (he can only see
them when you step on the brake pedal), or that you have an internal vacuum
leak in the power brake booster.  Try putting your foot on the floor
alongside the brake pedal.  If there is no hiss now, you can bet it's the
second option (be sure to do this before you change your socks).

The pedal going to the floor means that you have to displace an inordinate
amount of fluid from the master cylinder before the pads or linings move all
the way to the friction surface.  This means that either your self adjusters
are not working (probably not put together right last time the rear brakes
were serviced) or that the system has trapped air bubbles in it.  Another
possibility is that you habitually don't use the parking brake - this will
keep your brake adjusters from doing their job as well as they should.

The warning light lighting when you step on the pedal means that the
pressure is building up in one half of the system but not in the other
half - which also indicates that one half of the system is working sort of
right, and the other half isn't.   In the bad self adjuster scenario, the
rears would be the ones that are not developing pressure while the fronts
are sort of OK.

How to fix it in 3 steps:

1. Replace the power brake booster.
2. Bleed the system with a power bleeder - if you don't have access to one,
take it to a real actual brake person to do it for you.
3. Inspect the rear brakes, paying special attention to the brake adjusters.
One common error is to put the right side adjuster on the left side of the
car, and vice versa - this makes them into brake misadjusters, at no extra
cost.

Dick Benjamin