Gas guage sender repair.

Decided to do the non working gas guage on the 'new' 62 first.  I'll be doing a saga with photos but since this is a timely topic, I'll describe it now.

When I grounded the wire from the sending unit, the gas guage went to full which told me the instrument panel side was OK.  I then syphoned about 10 gal of gass out.  (Yum, tastes just like jello!  yeah yeah I know)

I then tapped off the seating ring, cut off the gas hose which was rotten anywan and removed the sending unit.  The float was full of gas so it was a good thing I got a spare when I picked up one for the 300 at the ford place.  It is an EXACT replacement!

While I had it out, I decided to check the windings.  Taking a couple wires with alligator clips on each end.  I hooked the sending unit up as if it was in the tank (wire from sending unit to the sending unit wire connector and another wire from the sending unit ring ground to ground.

I had intermittent readings so I took the coil off and gently sanded it.  Reassembled I checked it with an Ohmmeter.  It should read about .08Kohm when empty and .018 at full.

Put everything back together and put some gas in and it works fine.  Time will tell if there are any 'dead' spots but I doubt if there are.

There is not much to these units.  It's nothing more than a curved tapered piece of baklite with small wire wrapped around it.  Unless the wire is broken, it should be an easy fix as it can only be a corrosion or bad ground.

Photos when I get time to write the page.
KerryP
Patch panels fabricated
Pinkertonk@xxxxxxxxx
dte.net/57imperial
Imperials -- 50 Limo, 57 roadster, 61's, 62, 68 Convert, 73, a 66 300 and a bunch of lesser marques