81 hood ornament on ebay

Not sure just what this is, but I do not believe it is a hood ornament.

The 1981-83 Imperial hood ornament has a pedestal below the pentastar under
which the retainer and spring is attached.  The pedestal keeps the hood
ornament level and in place on the top of the grille shell surface.   The
retainer is how the ornament is attached to the car and permits the ornament
to move if it is hit.

This eBay thing would just flop around on the top of the grille.  There is
no visible means of keeping it upright.

All photos I have seen of the crystal hood ornament do not have the
"Cartier" or emblem in it.   However, looking at the 1982 brochure, the
steering wheel crystal has the emblem and block letter "CARTIER" name.
Unfortunately the eBay ad does not list the dimensions of the object.

I own a 1983 Imperial, which does not have a crystal ornament, but a
gorgeous "transluscent pentastar" (ie, plastic) hood ornament.   The crystal
in the steering wheel has the Cartier and emblem as the eBay unit does.

For dimensions, my 1983 steering wheel crystal is 14mm (9/16") per side.
The hood ornament "crystal" is 27mm (1-1/16") per side in side the frame,
and 32mm (1-1/4") on the outside.   The hood ornament's pedestal is oblong
in shape, being 20mm (3/4") long and 12mm (1/2") across.

As I said, I doubt this is a hood ornament.  Looking at the base, it would
make a nice key chain ornament, though.

(Would love to be a fly on the wall when ol' Frank opens this package.)

Bill
Vancouver, BC