67 vs. 68 antenna

I hope this is not boring the heck out of everybody.  Maybe one day it will help
you with your own antenna problem . . .

Anyway, I took the old antenna apart and I can't see how the dent in the sheath
could cause a problem.  There is a gap b/n the wall of the sheath and the
antenna itself of about 1/4"-- if it was dented in enough to obstruct the
movement of the antenna, it seems that the antenna wouldn't move at all.

Yet the thickest part of the antenna moves freely.  To explain, the antenna is
in 3 sections.  A thick one containing 2 slightly skinnier, or thinner, ones.
The way the antenna comes out of the fender, the thickest section comes out
first, followed by the skinniest, followed by the middle.  When the middle one
is about to come out is where it gets stuck.  Then you hear a clicking sound,
like it has hit the end of its extension, or has hit some obstruction and the
clutch in the motor is slipping.

I just realized this is not the way I remember these antennae working.  Usually,
they come up like this:

top part (skinniest)
middle part (next thickest)
last part (thickest; the part at the bottom)

Again, sorry to go into such detail but it's bugging me.

Mark