Electronic Ignition Failure

I tend to think there is another problem that cooked the box.  I've gone
hundreds of thousands of miles on Mopar orange box ignitions without a
problem.  At least 100k on one converted car and 30K on another.
Chris' suggestions are good, but I doubt engine heat could have cooked it if
it were on there for 6 years.
It's always good to carry spares, but I just have a ballast resistor, not an
extra control box or complete distributor.
Rob