'65 Spedo cable/guage?

The cable should unscrew from the speedo and from the transmission without
much effort (I don't know about how easy to access each with your hand
htough).  They are generally not torqued down, but may be sticky with age
to break loose.

Assuming that you find where the cable goes into the speedo and trans,
take it out and then inspect both ends of the cable.  It acts as a
drive-shaft and twisting one end should result in a 1-to-1 rotation at the
other end.  If it works, your problem lies in either the gear that drives
the speedo cable off of the trans or in the internals of the speedo in the
dash.

Most larger cities have a place that does instruments/speedo rebuilding.
There is one here in San Francisco that can fabricate speedo cables from
raw stock, so I'm assuming that you should be able to find similar near
you if yours is bad.

Bad speedo: repair or buy used.
Bad trans gear drive: probably replace, but don't know about that
firsthand.  Your wrenches and service manual or a non-chain trans place
would be the places to look on that one.

--

Chase the trans leak right away by wiping the trans case with a rag if not
obvious.  If you really want to, you can dust the cleaned trans exterior

The pan gasket is messy to do but not a big deal.  The shift cable or
shift linkage and speedo seals should not be tough if you can get them and
then get access under the car.  Short work for a trans shop, too, but
expect some sort of minimum charge from them.

Good luck!!

-Kenyon