Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2003 7:50 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: dash pad removal

Hi Tim-

I've removed mine more times than I can to remember!. The vinyl keeps coming loose, and I keep
trying to tighten it up. It's a losing battle. Anyway, remove the vertical trim pieces on either side.
These are the chrome ones alongside your windshield. Then  look under the pad and you will see
another strip of chrome with a number of counter-sunk screws. Remove these also. Hang onto your
chrome screws. The little rascals like to roll under the front seats. Actually there are two strips joined
at the middle.

Now comes the HARD part. The pad is a VERY tight fit. You may find it necessary as I have to remove
the steering column molding (under the dash and drop the column a few inches, by loosening or removing
the bolts holding the column to the brace under the dash. This will lower your steering wheel making it a
little easier to get the pad out. Now, pull one end of the pad forward and up towards you.  Once you have
an end out the rest will follow! To re-install reverse your steps. BUT I warn you--
-getting it back in is difficult also, you have to "work" it in. Be careful not to snag or otherwise tear
the vinyl pad cover. Under the cover is a foam pad that usually shrinks with the years. This has a steel backing
and the cover is glued to the underside of the steel base. The glue also works loose from sun and heat.
Be sure and fasten your steering column back in place, and re-install the cover over it.

Hope it works out for you. 55' & '56 are the same, I have one of each . Chrysler kept the dash design for
two years, except for the  little shift lever which was replaced by push buttons in '56. Fell free to contact
me personally if things go wrong-  Good Luck!

cebuisle@xxxxxxx                                                               Ted Blackington