66 crown

Depends on what you want to spend.  I learned from a
friend to always do the math when considering buying a
car.  I do an extremely thorough examination of the
car and add up what it will likely cost to do any
paint & body repairs, interior repairs, known
drivetrain & other mechanical repairs, then add $1000
for the inevitable brake, exhaust, hoses, pumps, and
other surprises that will likely need attention.

I take that total and subtract it from the highest
price I would be willing to pay for the car if it were
a turn-key situation.  The result is what I offer the
seller.

Sometimes that result is in line with what he is
asking, sometimes the result is WAY under.  On those
occasions I have explained to the seller why I made
such a low offer, and sometimes he sees the reasoning
and made adjustments to the selling price.  If he
doesn't, I walk away.

With this method I don't get over my head and buy a
car that costs too much to restore to be worth it in
the end.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 LeBaron