54 AC issues was 6V conversions was Please Welcome Bob Schoenberg

54 AC issues was 6V conversions was Please Welcome Bob Schoenberg

Hi Bob, once you get into electrons and such I'm pretty useless.  Now if you
want to make a panel...

Being pretty familiar with the 54 Chrysler AC cars, I have to ask why you
want to put a clutch on it?  I was absolutely amazed at how well the
Copeland compressor and Airtemp distribution unit worked originally.
Amazed!  In fact, I'm not sure why clutches were implemented given how well
it worked with the diverter valve.

For those not familiar with the 54 Imp and NY AC system, there are some
photos and text on the 54 page of my car (now Stewart Maddox's).  Basically,
there is a BIG honking Copeland compressor about the size of a Honda engine
(really).  It's driven off the 331 Hemi engine pulleys with NO CLUTCH.  The
evaporator and air handler are in the back, behind the seat.  The way the
clutchless system works is that there is a sensor that detects cabin
temperature.  This sensor can be adjusted for 'more cool-less cool' by
turning a thing in the trunk (not really handy).  When the sensor senses the
cabin is cool enough, it diverts the compressed freon (which is R22 btw
which is what is in your house AC.  It's a 1 1/4 TON unit!!!) back to the
compressor WITHOUT letting it expand.

At this point, I'm not sure what happens in the compressor, I assume the
compressed gas just bypasses the compressor cylinders and makes another loop
of the system.  At any rate, when the gas is in bypass mode, the compressor,
while still turning over, is loafing.

In 55 they went to a different compressor and a clutch.  The 54 was really a
trememdous cooling machine.  The AC was very cold and when you started the
car it was cold RIGHT DANG NOW!  None of this waiting for it to cool down.
My car had been stored in an old store for 20 years or so and still held a
charge and still put out cold air when I got it running.

Kerryp
http://dte.net/57imperial
KaP Imperial Services - Patch Panels, Metalshaping, Restoration
Manufacturer of high quality Wheeling Machines