The silly world of Imperials

What is so cool about Imperials is that they are so illogical.  Maybe when
they were on sale as new vehicles they were something else but now, well,
they are just silly.  But in a glorious way.  Silly like golf, or stamp
collecting.  Pointless activities except for the pleasure and amusement they
provide.  I think I latched onto my 1958 because of its almost surreal
absurdity.  I was on e-bay today and someone is selling some very nice
factory photographs from 1958.  I was struck by how bizarre the car really
is.  Old fashioned versions of modern.  I like that.

Imperials are a reflection of the times they were made.  Thank goodness we
don't have to suffer the indignity of Imperial pick ups, the type of vehicle
that is "saving" Cadillac.  Imperials were designed to be aspirational,
prestige, cars.  Not everyone was supposed to have one, only a special few.
And, to this day, that is how things are.  Getting a Dodge Charger is no
doubt a thrill for those who delight in them, and they certainly feel
superior to owners of Mustangs.  I think having an Imperial is better than
having a Lincoln or Cadillac, from the same era, but that's easy for me to
say as the 1958 Cadillac and Lincoln are brutally unappealing, made more
humorous in the case of Lincoln in that it was designed by none other than
Elwood Engel.

There is something to be said for the fact that only a tiny minority will
ever know what it's like to drive such a vehicle.  Driving the 58 was what
really hooked me into "investing" so much time, energy and money into the
car, though the outlandish style was what drew me in the first place.  I
have grown to like the fact that almost no one knows what it is, even so
called Mopar people.  As Imperialists, we are a very exclusive group.

I gave up being defensive about the cars a long time ago.  Tens of millions
of people will watch a football game tomorrow.  Millions of dollars will be
earned by a few players and coaches.  Nothing will change in the world
because of who wins.  There may be joy in big numbers, about being a part of
a national crowd.  But there is also joy to be had in being part of a much
smaller group, who take their pastime just as seriously, even if,
ultimately, it's just as silly.

Hugh