Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 8:27 AM
Subject: IML: brake part sales & service liability

Your problem with the sale of brake parts is at the far end of this nation's not irrational fear of litigation.  I have never heard of an individual reshoeing his own brakes.  The complications involved must surely need some rather intense technology.

I am writing because the issue I had was even more inconvenient.  When I had shoes fitted to the brakes of my 58 a few years ago, the shop had to make a best guess as to the required thickness as I could not find the specs.  Well, they guessed wrong and the newly padded shoes would not fit inside the drum.  Well, no one would trim them for me and I was told the pads could not be removed, which is logical as the glue they used was designed to withstand an inordinate amount of heat and friction.  I was told I would have to buy new brakes shoes.  Trimming the shoes was an environmental issue.  The materials involved are pretty toxic and no one had a permit.  To cut a short story long, I ended up trimming them myself.  It was nasty and unpleasant and worst of all, very unscientific.  I wore a breathing mask and goggles and used a fast spinning wire wheel type machine to wear away the material, and a micrometer to check the thickness.  Keeping the depth regular was my biggest concern.  I ended up doing the best job I could and am still using the shoes today.  Friction from the drum has rendered the surface smooth, so I couldn't tell, the next time I had the car apart, any difference between the ones I trimmed down on one side of the car and the pads from the other side.

Hugh