title troubles? should be relatively easy

Since I haven't read all the emails on this title problem subject, let me throw this out for everyone: Buying a car is no problem, even without paperwork. Find a licensed mechanic with a bureau of automotive (bar) number,strike a deal with him to put a mechanic's lein on the car.I have done this several times and it has worked each time. Last car I bought this way was a real nice 1989 Lincoln Mark VII. Paid $300.00 for the another $125.00 for the lein and the finance company didn't show up on the sale day to pay the $3,800. lein on the car. The people I bought the car from owedseveral thousand dollars on it. I went down to DMV, paid my money and clear title was sent to me by the state . This was about 3 years ago and I still drive the car daily.again this was done several times and without a hitch each time.Something to think about. By the way one car was a 1981 Imperial,which I still have.

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Martin
Sent: Feb 10, 2004 6:33 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: title troubles? should be relatively easy

Kenyon is absolutely correct: where there is a will there is a way.  The State of California discards records after non registration of a vehicle for 5 years.  A vehicle without a title in California can be registered and titled with a mere completion of two forms-a Vehicle Verification and an Application for Title.  Alternately, the state in which it was originally registered can provide a duplicate Title if was registered there within the last 5 years.  Do not let the lack of a title stop you from buying it!
Randy

California DMV Licensed Vehicle Verifier
Still trying to talk the wife, sorry-financial planner-into another '73
:>)
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:16 PM
Subject: IML: title troubles? should be relatively easy

Where there's a will, there's a way.  This person probably isn't a car person and would rather jettison the car and leave the trouble to someone else.  That's the good news, as their text will probably scare away other non-car people.  That car's gorgeous - go get it.

I don't know about other states, but there have been several threads in the past here about getting a car titled.  If they can title home-built hot-rods and kit cars, they can title a used car with missing title.

In California, the records are kept for something like 3 years and then tossed.  If the VIN does not show on their records or those of other states, the car "does not exist" on the books.  It is then up to the applicant to get a title.  I think it is more convenient to posess a car with no plates, either, so would not mention them unless "finding" them made things easier.

The method that I like is that used by mechanics, tow companies, and salvage yards (guess who you should be asking locally?  what do they do when a car is abandoned or storage or repair bills are outstanding?).

California allows you to hold a lein sale if you post notice to allow a property owner to collect back storage fees for an "abandoned" car.  The owner has first right of refusal to pay the fees.  If they are uninterested or can't be found, the car can then be put up for a public auction.  If nobody comes and makes a bid on the lein that you have placed on the car for storage, you get to keep it, title it, and are then empowered to resell it.  That's how I got a basket case 70's motorcycle registered when it had no plates and had been obviously dismantled into little bits for at least 10 years in the basement of the rental property that a buddy inhabited.  The process was almost easier timewise than some of the routine things they make you do, like the driver's eyeball test and photo.

Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

1973 Chrysler Imperial  --   >http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/Wills/index.htm

Do you Yahoo!?