Vapor Lock? Diagnosis Please...

You have basically given us two the major areas to look at, Patrick, ignition
and fuel. It is always safe to say that the problem is caused by one or both of
them.

A failing fuel pump will do exactly what you describe, although I have seen
cases where the clear filter isn't "always full", even though there is nothing
wrong with the pump. The pump pressure can be tested, but if you are in doubt,
replace the filter and the pump. It will do no harm, and they will eventually
go out anyway.

Ignition can also create the running problems that you describe (not the air in
the fuel filter, obviously). Since you mentioned getting oil on the points, I
would say that you should replace them rather than cleaning them and sanding
them. What you have done probably SHOULD work, but in order to have a reliable
car, I would suggest cleaning out the distributor and replacing the points. If
there was enough lubricant to spatter the points, just cleaning the points
won't do the job.

Paul