torqueflite info

SPX Miller tools should have the various torqueflite tools listed online, I
know they did at one time.  In addition, fwiw, over the years I have found a
few very good references to supplement the FSM for working on these things,
so in no particular order here are some of them for you folks who may want
to do more than just change a filter and fluid now and then.

ATSG ( automatic transmission service group ) makes a good booklet form for
the 727 and 904, probably cost 10 bucks from your local transmission
rebuilder or check it out online.

Motors Automatic Transmission Repair...these are great but they cover
everyones trans, and so you end up with a 60 dollar ( or more now, since Ive
had mine forever ) book that you may only want one chapter out of

National Service Data - they are year specific generally but they cover the
general service stuff as well as more in depth repairs, but again they will
be like Chiltons and cover every car for that year.  Unlike Chiltons, they
actually give you useful information!

On ebay, I found a HP books titled " torqueflite a-727 transmission
handbook", so I decided to potentially throw 20 bucks out the window and get
one.  I highly recommend it.  Gives a lot of the theorhetical, the
practical, general service data, what year spans  of parts were the
same...and theres a LOT of them, sub assembly repairs, how to rebuild one,
how to modify one, etc etc etc.

BTW, I have found that you can generally remove shift shaft seals with a
couple small picks and some finesse, and a 15/16 socket will work very
nicely to reinstall it with.  Just be sure you get it started squarely.
Given the relative ease they pop in and out and the fact that theres no
pressure against them, nobody should be afraid to R&R one of them.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe