73 Pittman arm

Hi Terry.

The front end kit will consist of a bunch of small to medium rubber items and pivot bushings as you may already know.

The parts that move around on your car's front-end are isolated from each other by rubber in most cases.

The rubber gets stiff or gets worn/elongated holes over time, making the car's items interact with each other in subtle undesired ways.

The main way that I check things initially is to get the car off the ground, preferrably on a lift or WELL ANCHORED on at least two jackstands with the car in P and the e brake set.  Go under there and start firmly tug and push the various components to see if there is play in them.  A pittman arm in need of attention will have a ball joint on the end where it connects to the drag-link.  If the drag link wiggles around, the threaded pin that goes through it to the pittman arm (a part of the pittman arm assembly) will wiggle and be loose.  Same on the idler arm.  That pin on the end is what gets everyone in the end on those beloved $200-to-rebuild idler arms.

When I redid my 1960, it was pretty straightforward and I am positive that it will contribute  to the car feeling solid and tight.  This is an often overlooked set of components, but they can make a real difference in your car's ability to stay aligned when in motion.

Don't know if that answers your question?

-Kenyon

Imp75coupe@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello List,
I have a question.
I have found a rebuild kit from Kantor that has all the bushings for the front end of my 73 Imperial. I am thinking of having this done in the next few months. The question is, how do I know when to buy a new "pittman" arm or any other front suspension part?
I am pretty new at actual front end work.
Thanks,
Terry in Tulsa

Alexandra..the 73 Triple Black