Oil for 392

Quoting Dave Ford <daveford1@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am doing my first oil change and filter on my 392 w/44k miles,  Is there
> an opinion as to what type of oil is best for this engine?  I dropped the
> oilpan and had about a 1/2" of "sediment".
> I believe the synthetics reduce friction better than the others but they
> seem to be limited to the lower viscosities which may not desireable for
> this application.

Synthetics can go up to 50 weight ("hot" viscosity), while having a cold
viscosity lower than the mineral oil (which is good).  However, this is a very
old engine.  Did they have detergent oils back in the late fifties?  If they
did, you may be better off with synthetic, but if not, stay away from it as
synthetics have uslually very powerful detergent additives (partly because
their price allows the use of the best additives, and partly because they are
meant to stay in the crank case longer).

Still, even if you decide to go with a synthetic, use a cheaper oil for the
first run flush and change the oil soon after.

D^2