1954 Inner door handle

George;

The inside door handles are attached differently on our 54's than on the '55 and later.  If you look behind the handle, there is a stainless ring which pushes out on the handle via a spring.  Take a thin screwdriver and push that ring outward (toward the outside of the door) and you'll see a hole drilled at 90 degrees to the handle with a pin thru the handle and shaft.  With an ice pick, you can push the pin out while holding back the ring.  Once started, a needle nose pliers may help retrieve the little pin.  Not much space to work in, but it's actually somewhat easier than removing the later handles.  To reinstall the handle, just reverse the procedure and use the needle nose pliers to start the pin back in place.  The ring with spring thingy will pop back in place to keep the pin from going anywhere.

Good luck,

Roger

'54 Custom