cyl heads and compression?

Mikey, I think yo are close.  Compression ratio is a geometrical engine
parameter defined as the total volume of the cylinder (total clearance volume
plus swept volume) divided by volume of cylinder when the piston is all the way
up at TDC (also refered to as clearance volume).  The clearance volume is
determinded by the chamber size, piston shape, and of cource head gasket
thickness.  If the piston is dished, it adds to the clearance volume reducing
compression ratio, if its domed, it subtracts volume, increasing compression
raio (all these are obvious of course).  So, theoritically, you can have the
same compression ratio with an infinite combination of head chamber volume,
piston shape (domed or dished) and head gasket thickness.  Practically, we are
restricted by the cylinder heads and piston types available my manufacturers.

All the above need to be taken into account when trying to estimate the
compression ratio of the engine you are about to rebuild.

D^2