E-bay '66 with 20s!

I wasn't really looking for a poll when I made the original post.  I just
saw an interesting Imperial and figured that somebody else might like to see
it. I like it.  I knew most of you wouldn't.  Wheel choice is a very
subjective thing. I see many people suggesting wire wheels, some people
thing they are gorgeous, but guess what, others will hate them.

I have to disagree with D2's analysis (big surprise ;) that handling may
suffer because the car can't lean in the corners.  The lean these cars had
in the corners WAS a handling problem.  I personally feel that extra
traction and less lean are GOOD things for my car.  Agreed that 20s are
extreme, but we don't even know the diameter. It is possible to put 17"s on
some cars and end up with the same rolling diameter. Otherwise, it's easy
enough to change speedo gears and cruising will be enhanced by extra
diameter.  If it's hurting your acceleration a steeper rear gear is an easy
mod.

Ride comfort will certainly suffer because you're losing all the tire flex.
To the extent that was designed into the suspension you may have a problem,
but come on, the car is 37 years old. There have been some advances, it
doesn't make sense not to take advantage because "the car was designed as a
system."

As for the possibility the rims were stolen, I don't see how that's
relevant. That NOS grille that you bought from Chuck or whoever in Tulsa may
be stolen too. There is no reason to think these rims are stolen.
Particularly since they are on an Imperial which we have established doesn't
share wheels with many other vehicles. It's unlikely there were any other
'66 Imperials with 20s to steal them from.

There is a pretty big Ford truck aftermarket. From the old 50s jobs to
today. If the rims are interchangeable you can bet somebody is making them.
May cost a little more, but they're out there.

I know this would eventually denigrate into a points/electronic ignition,
radial/bias ply debate, so I won't continue arguing with everybody.  I still
like them and I don't expect you to. The only way to tell how they are on
the car is to drive it.

Rob