Steering Wheel Repair (leather wrapped wheels)

Steering Wheel Repair (leather wrapped wheels)

Does anybody "repair" the newer style wheels, as found on the 80's
Imperials?  Both of mine have no major problems, but the padding under the
leather on the rim has gone away and the leather is all twisted up.  I
thought about a few potential cheap fixes, but I'd be interested if there is
a proper repair.  I have about 50 other tasks ahead of this one and I get
more all the time. Yesterday I got in my '82 which was parked for two days
and the rear view was on the floor.