1960 Gas Tank and Sending Unit

Hello everyone,

After a month of inactivity, my '60 is back on the road.
About 3 weeks after I bought it, the gas tank sprang a leak -
3 small leaks actually. The old tank was immediately drained
and removed.

Of course, the sending unit was shot too.

Again, thank you Henry Hopkins for your recommendation
of Lowell Howe. Mr. Howe found and promptly sent me an
excellent replacement tank ('64). It was like new inside!

Yes, I too recommend Lowell Howe to anyone who doesn't know of him.

At the same time, I had a new sending unit made by someone local.

Last Thursday, it was all put together and, so far, no leaks.
The sender does need adjustment, which will be done as soon
as the gasoline recedes enough.

On a more technical note, it seems that the sending units for 1960 changed
mid model year. Please correct me if that is not true. The old unit had
a ground (3") soldered to the end. The person who built me a new one, used
specs indicating a ground strap. My new unit came without a ground. No big deal,
the mechanic simply added a similar gounding.

But I thought you other 1960 owners should know this.

Jim Brown

Do you Yahoo!?