Full Contact Brakes

I only had about 1 month to drive my 58 Belvedere before winter came after I
bought her. One thing I noticed was how much effort it took to stop the car.
The pedal wasn't necessarily mushy, it did travel a fair bit. Any tips? It
was safety inspected when I bought it by a good friend who is a mechanic at
work (I work at a dealership, so I know it was done right) and there were no
leaks. I am tempted to swap to a dual master cylinder if I can't get any
improvement. One suggestion I had from a technician at work was to adjust
the brakes again and perhaps flush all the old brake fluid out (pressure
bleed) and replace with new. We did this to an older Celebrity Wagon and the
pedal was quite a bit firmer. I also noticed that if the car sat for a while
(a week or so), the right rear brake would howl. Once it locked up on first
application. After that it was fine. I want to pull all the wheels once my
garage gets warm enough to work in again. I'd like to have some ammunition
before I start trying to adjust the brakes etc.
 Thanks for any tips.
   Todd
58 Belvedere 4 door Sport Sedan (Hardtop)