[FORWARDLOOK] New Member

Wow!  It's great to see someone starting this list.  I am (was) a member
of the Mopar Mailing List, and I was getting very bored with the general
discussions there.  I personally have little interest in "pro-street"
modifications, or topics relating to Dodge Aries cars.  I had a hard
time getting the group worked up about anything pre-1965.  The
discussion was Mopar-muscle rich, not a bad thing, just not my thing.  I
love fins and chrome, something Chry Corp mastered in the '55-'61 years.
 Thanks Dave, for getting this started.

My name is Robert Whitman
I live in Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City)
I am 26 and am a Landscape Architect
I own a 1960 DeSoto Adventurer Sedan

The car is black with a red interior, a 383V8, 3-speed push-button auto,
163,000mi.  I have owned it 1 year now and have not had to spend a dime
yet to keep it running.  It is only a pleasure cruiser, not for the
daily grind.  I have spruced up the appearance, but done little else,
though it needs a front-end rebuilt, brake system overhaul, and other
non-emergency work.

It is the only '60 DeSoto I have ever seen (in person).  It is amazing
how people are drawn to those crazy finned MoPars.  I love it!   I found
it in the local newspaper after hunting for a '60 Chrysler for 4 years.
I knew the DeSoto was near identical to the Chrysler (from books), so I
inspected the DeSoto and was awe-struck.  After getting the 70yr old (20
yr owner) guy to halve his price to a decent $2500, I took it away.  I
thought the fact that it was a 4dr would turn me off to it, but when I
saw it, I knew I had to have it.  It is complete (minus the commonly
missing taillight chevrons and horn cover)  The old guy recently removed
(and tossed) the original radio and installed a new tape deck to make it
more "sellable"  Oops!  I would much rather have the old one, I don't
usually listen to the radio, I listen to the V8 rumble.  He thought of
it as a neat old car, not too concerned with "originality".

It had a personalized license plate "batcar".  That term fits it
perfectly!  There is also a cartoon called "Sam & Max", starring
freelance police, a dog and rabbit.  They drive a well drawn '60 DeSoto
black and white cop car.  (it is on in most cities on the "fox kid's
network" on Friday's at 3:30pm)  That car is very similar to mine, and I
have had kids notice that.  I love that car, and will never give it up
(except maybe for an exceptional 2dr '60).

I just wanted to introduce myself, and I promise future messages won't
be near this long.

See my DeSoto at:  http://carnut.cxo.com/photo/mopar/60soto.jpg

See the "Sam & Max DeSoto at:
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~dml/SamNMax/char-desoto.html