Re: [FWDLK] Tired ol' 230 L-Flathead

I don't have much advice about the subject of obtaining parts,  but would
like to relate a story about a similar car jumping out of gear.

Many years ago I had a 1952 Plymouth stick six.  It ran well and shifted very
smoothly and reliably until I had Se*** - Ro**** install a rebuilt engine.
As soon as I drove it away, I realized that the thing jumped out of gear
unless I held the lever in place.  I returned and was laughed out of the
place by the manager, who told me that the transmission was so badly worn
that it wasn't their fault and they weren't even going to put it up to look
at it.

I was young and easily bullied, so I took my car away to lick my wounds.  I
jacked it up myself, crawled under, and immediately noticed that when the
transmission had been bolted back unto the bell housing, a large glob of oil
soaked dirt hat builds up under old cars had been bolted between the flange,
holding the transmission crooked.  I removed it and the car was back to its
old wonderful self.

This is the long way around telling you to check alignment between the parts
before you go tearing the transmission apart.  You may not need to!

Oh, yes.....  I will NEVER go back for repairs to S - R & Co.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Mi.