Re: [FWDLK] 59 DeSoto Diplomat conv

The 1959 DeSoto Diplomat Adventurer would have been built
in Detroit, not Windsor, Ontario.  The Canadian plant only
built sedans and some wagons in Kingsway/Diplomat export
guise.

Chrysler Canada imported the 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury but did
not offer a Dodge equivalent.  And Chrysler Canada did not
start building convertibles in Canada until 1963.   A convertible
was offered in the Dodge Mayfair series from 1954 to 1959, but
that was imported - a Dodge Kingsway with "Mayfair" nameplates.
As they were imported, they used American Plymouth interiors and
engines.  Thus American-built 1959 Plymouth-bodied cars had the 230-cid
flathead six and 318-civ V8 while Canadian-built versions used the
251-cid flathead six and 313-cid V8.

The serial number prefix, for the Plymouth Sport Fury and DeSoto
Diplomat Adventurer, should be M291 : 1959 - Plymouth/Diplomat V8 -
Sport Fury/Adventurer - Lynch Road Assembly Plant.

An illustration of the 1959 DeSoto Adventurer convertible appears on
page 237 of "The Plymouth and DeSoto Story", by Don Butler.

Bill W

Yes, I had the 59 DeSoto Diplomat but sold it some time ago. It was a very
special car that I belive had been loved at a car show.
It was something about the serialnumber that didn't match up so I belive
that it was some lucky guy who felt like building a replica. I don't
remember now but I trhink that the serialnumber said that the car wasn't
built in Canada. It was still a rare car and I hope I will see it soon on
the road. It had gold trim and a gold grill. The car was original equiped
with 361/Torque, PS, PB, PW, 6-way swirwel seat and the high beam thing (I
donät know the name) that turns on/off automatic.
-Daniel

Sorry I can't help on the domain name question,
Daniel, but are you the same Daniel Andersson listed
on the FL roster as owning a '59 DeSoto Diplomat
Adventurer convertible?

Sorry to interject with the off-question, but that is
a pretty rare car (North American readers: think '59
Sport Fury with a DeSoto front clip; they were export
only and I believe only 8 convertibles were made) and
I'd love to hear from someone who has or had one.