Re: [FWDLK] 56 Dodge Detail Questions

--- Scott H <kneedrager@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need some info on certain details:
>
> 1- Can anyone tell me if the taillights were
> different between models on the 1956 Dodge.
> I bought a set that are solid round chrome
> but the set on the car has 2 grooves cut into
> the top 1/2 and bottom 1/2 and look like the
> grooves were painted black at one time. Also the
> originals have a tab about 1" that goes forward
> and blends into the sheetmetal part of the
taillight.

The solid ones are '55-'56 Coronet pieces. I think
Royals may have used these as well, been so long since
I've seen one I'm not sure. The slotted ones are
definitely used on '55-'56 Custom Royals.

> 2- Did "all" (and we all know what that term can
> imply) Custom Royals have a painted headlight Bezel
> with a thin chrome ring  or did some have the full
> chrome trim ring?

No, these are Coronet or export Plymouth-based Dodge
pieces. The Custom Royal should have the painted one.
('55 CRs had a chrome headlight door, but it differed
from the '55 Coronet piece, which may be the '56
Coronet piece as well.)

> 3- Did the Custom Royal have the "Lancer" badge on
> the front fenders?

AFAIK this depends on whether or not it's a hardtop.
There was a CRL 4dr sedan in '55, and may have been
one in early '56, but this would've been replaced br
the 4drHT midyear if it existed at all. FWIW, I think
the '56 Coronet 2drHT was also badged as a Lancer.

> 4- Did the Custom Royal have the dashboard framed in
> chrome and the other models plain?

The CR had a chrome speaker grille with gold Dodge
script and a FL emblem. I believe the Royal also had
this. The standard Coronet speaker grille was a
painted piece of perforated sheetmetal, but I think
the chrome grille was available as an option.

> It looks like my car had Coronet nose put on it a
> while back and I want to correct the details as
> bes as I can.

Always a worthy goal. I think the front clips were the
same other than trim levels but am not 100% sure.