[FWDLK] My O-Ring Story

I posted a question yesterday on where to get an oring for the cover of my
power steering box (56 Plym).
Some of the suggestions were
1) Any industrial bearing and seal supply business should be able to help
you
2) Look in the yellow pages and see if there is a gas or water meter
supplier in
your area. They use the larger sizes frequently. I had luck with a meter
distributor in Avon Park, FL. They were able to fix me up with no problem.
3) a trans parts supplier
4) - I have a lot of "leftover" O rings here from transmission seal
packages (I do a lot of automatics).  If you could mic the diameter (not the
"OD", but the "thickness"), get a measurement closer than "about" 2.75" for
the OD, and tell me if the O ring goes into a groove that is an "inside" or
an "outside" groove, I will look through what I have and see if I can find
something that I think will fit.
5) There's a kit that allows you make orings of anysize
and all they consist of is rubber o ring material, a razor
blade, and super glue
6) I have the same p/s unit in my '55 Belvedere.  The MoPar part number for
the
shaft cover o-ring is 1557217.  I checked the online parts search and the
following dealers have this part in stock:
7) Check this out: http://www.mcmaster.com/

So last night I went to Home Depot, today I went to two auto parts store a
plumbing supply and a transmission shop, all with no luck. I look at the
mcmaster website and I saw they listed o-rings and the kit to make your own
o-ring, so I decided to just drive there. About 1.5 hours. So I get there
and I pull up to an office building. I go inside and the receptionist tells
me that they sell to individual people but I have to go inthe back to the
will call desk in the warehouse. I get to the will call desk and there are 3
people ahead of me and I realize this is a desk for picking up phone orders.
The place is monstrous and I'm wondering maybe I should have phoned some
kind of salesman. I finally get to the desk and I show the guy the old
o-ring and he just looks at me like I'm nuts and then hand me thier catalog
and tells me to look it up. The catlog was huge too. O-rings were on page
3080. I get to the o-rings and theirs pages of them and made out of 10
different materials. The guy did measure the oring and told me it was .10 or
7/64 which I assumed was 3/32 and I measured the diameter at about 2.75.
Another sales guy told me to get a bun-a o-ring it is good for oils, but I
had already figured it out. So I find the size and he punches it into the
computer and tells me $10 and I have to buy a pack of 50. So I get them and
it takes the guy 20 minutes to come from the other side of the warehouse
with the package. While I'm waiting there, the first guys says "We'll see
how good you are at figuring o-rings, maybe we'll hire you" Anyway, they
came and the guy was pretty surprised that I picked the right one. I had
brought the cap with me. Then once he found out I was working on my 56
Plymouth, he lightened up and started bullshitting cars with me. Anyway, I
put it together and it seals nice. Now the problem is (I didn't realize this
before, there is an o-ring somewhere on the adjuster shaft and that must be
leaking because I'm getting a seep between the adjuster threads and the
lockdown nut. I'll tackle that next week. I'm attempting to drive the car to
carlisle tomorrow.
So anyway, now I have 49 exrtra o-rings, anyone with a 55-56 plym power
steering or dodge need one ?
Nick