[FWDLK] FLASH chromed????

I have not been following the thread on buffing and chroming and stainless
and magnets and whatever tho I have more or less sight read them.
Howsomever-
IMHO the side trim on ones 40 year old set of wheels is stainless steel.
Likewise IMHO it MIGHT (thats caps and a big questionmark) be aluminum?  As
we know more recent cars used bright aluminum trim in addition to
electroplated plastics.  Note I did not say 'side trim'...
Now-
My 56 Plymouth wagon has stainless that will RUST!!!  Yep thats rust.  Due to
poor quality stainless, not due to anything else.   Hence I will apply wax or
sealer to it in fall.
Flash Chromed trim?
I doubt it.  Flash chroming was done to inexpensive toys and other items.  It
lacked the three step process that automotive chroming  has.  It is basically
a thin coat of chrome over the unprepared base metal, thats it.  Will readily
rust if you dont put your toys away!  It is possible but most likely not
probable that some interior trim that gets little abuse, like trim around
instruments, were flash chromed, but I doubt it.
Summary.
Better not try stainless buffing techniques to any aluminum trim!!!!!!
Rotsa Ruck

LARS

In scenic West Michigan USA