[Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs Again Continued

[Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs Again Continued

Ah, the freeze plug problem is rearing its ugly head again.  That was
something that caused me great anguish and fear.

After rebuild, I ran a 13 PSI radiator cap for 1500+ miles with no problem.
Then I got bold and tried a 16 PSI cap for a short jaunt, but chickened out
and went back to the 13.  The very next day while cruising at 80 MPH, POOF!
Big puff as seen in the rear-view mirror.

Knew what it was right away, got right off the freeway and cleaned up the
antifreeze on the wheels and side of the car while the trailer came for Big
Yellow.

Here's the problem - the factory had a special machines to install the plugs
during assembly.  Further, the replacements available today are of an
inferior quality and hard to correctly install so that they will not blow.
Coupled by the fact most of us want to run a 16 PSI radiator cap so we do
not loose so much antifreeze.  And to boot, this was the Achilles heel of
our engines, one that was not solved by the factory for years (until a new
design).

The solution - I went and found a company to make a freeze plug that goes
OVER the hole, and has a clamp that hooks on the inside of the block when it
is tightened. Foolproof and permanent. Once it is in, spray paint it black
like the rest of the engine (and no Concours Judge will ever see it).

If anyone wants these plugs, contact me privately and I will give you the
details.  I put the word out on these freeze plugs in June - several of you
were interested, but nobody jumped.

These freeze plugs work and I have yet to see a better solution!

Louis M. Barrie
West Hills, CA
Home of Big Yellow
http://community.webshots.com/user/luibear