Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Balancing Act

> Probably the fastest(I did not say easy) method to find the heavy spot on
a tire is to check the wheel for its heavy point, mark this point, mount the
tire, check balance and see where the heavy point now is in reference to the
mark that had been made on the wheel.

> However the problem now becomes this.  Is the heavy point on the outside
of the tire or on the inside.  This difference can often be the problem
where you have a tire/wheel in perfect static balance and yet have a wobble
or vibration in your steering wheel.  This is where the dynamic balance
requirement comes in.  Now it gets complicated.  I have not done it(but now
I guess I will), but I suspect that a Google(again) search will give you
more information then your brain cells would wish to absorb on this topic.

Static or rotating staic balancing may well be acceptable to certain
drivers. Dynamic balancing is accomplished in two parallel vertical planes
spaced as far apart as possible. This procedure takes the wobble forces out.

Suggest check out Hunter Engineering and road force variation tire balancing
(Google search). Proper use of the equipment involves tire indexing. This
procedure I would think would be better, more time expediant, than
attempting to find low and high spots etc. by some other trial and error
method  Goodyear tire store here in Sedona has such equipment so some tire
store in a metro area should also have the Hunter stuff.

Best true running tire/wheel asemblies we see have alloy wheels which are
machined round and true as opposed to stamped wheels which can have an
incredible amount of runout. How does NASCAR run 190+ on stamped steel
wheels; seriously, how does that work?

Balancing in two planes at the wheel outer edges will minimize the weight
required. Tape weights on the inside of the wheel will provide only rotating
static balance which may be OK and they can run into things and not stick
real well. A large tonage of tape weights may be required also (short moment
arm off the wheel center). As an extreme case, our Hummer customer has some
very nice looking alloys on his H1 's but there are no clamp on weights
available so we are forced to glue/pile (big) lead tape weights inside the
wheels. The Mickey Thompson tires he runs need a lot of balance weight
compensation even with the nice alloys and there are still dynamic imbalance
problems and the tires have a lot of runout..

There was a shop near here that was dynamically balancing off the car and
then spin balancing on the car which was reported very satisfactory. This
will not make lumpy tires run smooth.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Give the gift of life to a sick child.