300 F Wheel Covers

I'm "refreshing" the wheelcovers on my 300 F, using the Club's new plastic
medallions. I have successfully disassembled the covers, and I have the
correct red paint for the center of the wheelcovers. Does anyone out there
have any experience with painting these items? Should I use a primer to aid
in paint adhesion? Should I roughen up the remnents of the existing red
paint? Anything else? Thanks. Terry McTaggart