Harmonic Balancer Rebuild?

Hi to all,

I have never had a balancer rebuilt - yet. But, the other day, I had a 413
engine at TDC on a stand in my shop, and decided to "test" some balancers I
had removed from engines over the years. Result of testing 6 balancers :
two were accurate, two were off by ten degrees, one was off by 15 degrees,
and one was off by 30 degrees or so. So, it isn't much good using a timing
light to tune your engine if the timing mark is off ! Suggest testing your
balancers by placing engine at #1 TDC using a piston stop device ( one can
easily be made by busting out the porcelain out of an old spark plug and
threading a bolt in the center of the remaining metal ) .

John