Re: [Chrysler300] FM radios in 1964 and 65

Re: [Chrysler300] FM radios in 1964 and 65

Hi Everyone,

Actually the AM-FM radio was standard in the '63 New Yorker Salon. My '63 300 convertible has one, but I doubt it's original. The car had numerous Chrysler options added by the original owner. It sure "looks" like it interchanges with the factory AM, but I never measured it since I'm not interested in replacing it. I added an FM booster in line with the antenna wire. It helped reception some, but the sound is really no different from an AM since it is not stereo unit.

I agree with John regarding the conversion. One of my pet peeves is to see a modern stereo cobbled into any old car. If you just have a "driver" and you want good sound, hide a modern stereo in the glove box. If you have a nice letter car, just bite the bullet and have the radio converted.

I bought a set of exhaust pipes a while ago from someone who advertises in the club news. They to were sub-standard in my opinion. With only a moderate cam, I can't place the pipes to stop from hitting "something" under the car. Also, one side was 6" longer than the other and the mufflers blew right out in no-time. A custom setup costs a little more, but is well worth it.

Russ Vaughan